Monday, February 18, 2008

San Francisco

This weekend I decided to whisk Mike away to San Francisco without kids. My parents (THANK GOD FOR THEM!!!) took care of the three bambinos from Thursday until yesterday! Thursday night Mike took me out to dinner in town to Big Tune - mmmm, sushi - and then the next morning we were off to San Francisco. We stayed at the wonderful Marine Memorial Club & Hotel, (that I would recommend to anyone)! Once we arrived and got checked into our room it was off to buy a cable car pass and then we headed down to Ghirardelli Square and Fisherman's Wharf. We hung out there for a while and then headed back to Union Square are where we ended up having dinner at Scala's Bistro. After a nice dinner we turned in for an early bedtime (what is that???). On day two we had a great breakfast at our hotel and then headed to Union Square for some shopping and of course we had to find some trinkets for the kids. Once the quick shopping was done we decided to do some exploring and climbed one of the steepest street in San Francisco as well as paroosed the Cable Car Museum. We were then picked up at our hotel by Tower Tours for a 4 hour tour of Muir Woods and Saucalito. It totally amazed both of us that Muir Woods even existed so close to the city. This place was such a wonderful place to visit and we hope to go back to hike it next time we are in S.F. Saucalito was beautiful and full of very cute and quaint shops. Anyway, we ended up back at Fisherman's Wharf after our drop off. After fighting the crowds of tourism, we ended up having dinner at a restaurant on Pier 39. I must admit, skipping Fisherman's Wharf and all of the tourist crowd would be on the top of my list for next time. I guess I am just not one for crowds. After a late night it was back to the hotel. On morning three we had another great breakfast at our hotel and then checked to head on our way back south. We decided to take the scenic route home and drove some of the Pacific Coast Highway as well as the 101. I must say this was WAY MORE scenic than our drive up. One can only take the smell of cow pastures for so long. But anyway, we headed all the way down to my parents house to see the kids. After 10 hours on the road it sure was nice to stretch out and be embraced by children that can hug like they have never seen you before. I think I must be crazy but I always want to get some time away from the kids but sure enough when I get the opportunity to, all I do is think about and worry about them! I am so glad that Mike and I got to have some time to ourselves amongst all of the stress that TPS brings and I am very thankful that my parents were able to watch the kids for us. Thank you guys! Hopefully next time we can take the kids with us and let them see a little bit of the sites!


Sally said...

So glad you all had a good time! Sorry we missed you for dinner in SF...we weren't doing very well with staying on schedule. :-)

Sarah said...

Gorgeous pictures you guys! Looks like you had a great time, a much needed break from the desert!!!

Shelley said...

I'm so glad we did that trip when we lived there too! One of my favorite places ever!

It is so nice that you guys were able to get away for a long weekend! We are planning a mini-trip in March when my parents visit!